Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Business Spotlight: Oodles of Noodles a unique Brentwood eatery

By Roni Gehlke
For the Contra Costa Times

Name of business: Oodles of Noodles and More
Type of business: Fast, casual restaurant
Owner: Jonathan Lei
Founded: July 2007
Address: 6670 Lone Tree Way, Brentwood
Phone number: 925-418-4970
Hours: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
Number of employees: six

Products and services: Oodles of Noodles offers a menu of noodles, rice, brown rice, wraps, grilled with one's choice of fresh vegetables, tri-tip, chicken breast, pork or prawns on a circular grill in view of customers.

"A fresh spin on Mongolian barbecue," Lei said. "We are also the only restaurant to offer a zero-calorie, zero-carb noodle."

How did you get into the business: "Even though my wife and I have owned Digger's Diner in Concord for 12 years now, I had a separate career as a real estate developer," Lei said. "While DiAnn was having the time of her life running the diner, I was doing what I loved, designing and building custom homes."

When they had their first son, Lei, took a year off to spend time with his new family. The couple had a daughter 18 months later. One year off quickly turned into four years away from his career.

"When I was ready to get back to work again, the economy was so bad that I did not feel there would be a market for custom homes. So DiAnn and I took a chance and opened our second Digger's Diner location in Brentwood," he said.

Lei said they were so well-received because they were the first retro family diner in town and it was just what area needed. Then two years later, they decided to bring another unique restaurant to Brentwood by opening Oodles of Noodles.

Best part about the business?: "I enjoy meeting new people and watching them leave happy and satisfied," he said. "I also like the fact that I get to design and build the restaurants myself. It is very rewarding for me to see all the hard work in planning, building finally come to fruition and be a hit with the customers. It's the developer in me happy to get a creative outlet I guess."

Worst part about the business?: Not being able to spend time as much time as he liked with his family while the establishing the new restaurant.

"I got really used to spending a lot of time with my kids," Lei said. "I joke about being proud to be the only dad I know to potty-train his kids. So aside from everything else, this is the worst part for me. Luckily, I have the best kids in the whole world and they are very understanding that this is short-term."

Key to success: "To have an original idea and the best people to execute the concept to the highest possible standard," he said. "They are others, of course, but these two criteria will transcend even a bad location. Customers are seeking us out because they heard we have amazing food and a very friendly staff."

Biggest misperception about the business: Lei said the biggest misperception is that starting and eventually running a restaurant is hard.

"It really isn't. All you have to do is have a good concept, the best staff, a good sales force, a marketing team, controller, a legal team, financial adviser and a maintenance crew, and you are set."

Lei said if you have to do it all yourself like he did, then it is a little harder. "All kidding aside, running a restaurant is just like any other small business, you do whatever it takes to keep it going," he said.
Future plans: "To take four years off," he joked. "Seriously, I want to change the world, one bowl at a time."
-- Roni Gehlke

No comments:

Post a Comment