Monday, August 24, 2009

Roni Gehlke: Check with your local disposal company to be sure you're recycling properly

By Roni Gehlke

I WOULDN'T SAY I am the most recycling-minded person in the community, but I do try to do my part. Lately I've been a little confused because the things that I have always thought were recyclable have been remaining in my little white bin long after the garbage company comes to pick it up.

I had thought the problem was just mine, until I happen to peek in my neighbor's bins early on garbage day last week and realized they still had many of the same things left behind as well.
That sent me on a trek to Oakley Disposal to make sure I was doing the right thing while recycling.

According to the receptionist, I was, so it will remain a mystery why my recyclables have been remaining in the bin. However, that doesn't mean that is the case for everyone.

It is easily understandable why some people might not recycle properly. Those new to the area might be recycling under the rules of their former community. Some communities, such as Brentwood and Antioch, allow one bin for all recyclables.

Oakley Disposal said we can do the same here, except the drivers are used to looking for the white and blue bins, so for now it might be a good idea to keep using the bins provided by the garbage company.

In the meantime, the blue bin is pretty straightforward. It is simply for paper waste such as newspapers, colored and white paper, magazines and cardboard 24 inches or smaller.
The white bin most commonly takes plastic, glass and aluminum. It is also takes tin cans, shampoo bottles, bleach and detergent containers.

Be sure to check for the No. 2 stamped on the bottom of colored containers. Soft drink bottles with the numbers one through seven are all recyclable.

Also remember to remove all caps and lids and make sure there is nothing left inside the plastic containers.

On a completely different note, a couple of weeks ago I went along with the 200 million other people in the world and started a Facebook account.

My idea was to open the channels of communication with other Oakley and East County residents to share information and ideas.

Not like this is really a novel concept. It is reported that more than 100 million people log onto Facebook a day to check in with their friends, family and neighbors.

For those who aren't familiar with Facebook, the site allows people to set up what they call a profile page. Members are able to post quick comments, notes or blog type comments, as well as exchange Web links and photos.

Over the past couple of weeks I've revisited old acquaintances, made some new contacts, received a few requests for stories, heard about local events that I hadn't heard anywhere else and even exchanged a recipe of two.

My coverage base for the newspaper is primarily Oakley for this column, but then I also write other features throughout the East County.

More importantly, I've always been a social butterfly, as my sisters constantly call me. I enjoy spending time with my neighbors and learning about the communities around me and now Facebook makes that all the more possible.

I am open to finding networking "friends," as Facebook calls them, throughout East County.
So far I've shared information about current events, Web sites with information on our area and stories and tidbits of information of local concern sent to me from others.
I've also started to post pictures from throughout East County.

Those who are Facebook members are welcome to "friend" me at www.facebook.com/oakleynow.

No comments:

Post a Comment