Sunday, October 24, 2010

Business Spotlight: Antioch's Devon Almarinez is not your typical clothing designer

By Roni Gehlke
For the Contra Costa Times

Name of business: Heroics Design Studios/Screen Printing
Type of business: Design and screen printing
Owner: Devon Almarinez
Founded: 2006
Address: 608 W. Second St., Antioch
Phone number: 925-207-8974
Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday
Number of employees: one

Products and services: Screen printing designing for clothing and apparel items and promotional merchandise. Heroics Design Studio and Screen Printing produces items for businesses, sport team and personal use. Heroics provides T-shirt designs, screen printing, mix-tapes and posters.

How did you get into the business: "I got into the business from designing my own clothing," Almarinez said. "I learned how to screen print from a friend. Years down the line, I decided to have my own print shop for my personal and artist collaboration clothing projects."

For the past five years Almarinez has traveled back and forth from Los Angeles and all over the country for work purposes. He moved back from Los Angeles to the East Bay to be near family but still commutes to Los Angeles for special projects.

"I opened up a shop and working office, but it turned out to be a design studio, screen printing and store," he said.

Best part about the business?: "I'm doing what I love to do. If I can be around my hometown and guide any others in my field, I'm happy to help," he said.

Worst part about the business?: "I've been lucky not to see the worst," Almarinez said.

Key to success: "The key to success is to believe in yourself and progress," Almarinez said.

Biggest misperception about the business: "You are not alone. There are many business owners near you. They frequently talk to you about future goals, collaborations or simply how you are doing," he said.

Future plans: Almarinez said his future plans are to have Heroics stores in every major city. "Each store, design studio and screen printing will have my own unique designs for sale. So, they can be purchased only at that store. They will all have different themes," he said.

His hope is to work with all the artists that he does now and travel on tour and design new clothing and art. Then he plans to bring different designs back to his stores.

-- Roni Gehlke

No comments:

Post a Comment